Alternately, I could do a play based on Sir Orfeo where our hero must journey through the Underworld (transformed into a Celtic Otherworld) and confront the Fairy King who has abducted his beloved wife Dame Heurodis.
To get a sense of what that would be like, check out the following:
- Piotr Spyra, The Terror of the Threshold: Liminality and the Fairies of Sir Orfeo
- Blythe Hsing-wen Tsai, Appropriating the Classical Underworld: The Otherworld and its Spectacle in Sir Orfeo
- Jordi Sanchez-Marti, Insular Sources and Analogues of the Otherworld in the Middle English Sir Orfeo
- Jane Beal, Orphic Powers in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Legend of Beren and Lúthien
- Amy Louise Morgan, Fairies, Monsters and the Queer Otherworld: Otherness in Sir Orfeo